Thursday 26 June 2014

From Addiction to a Life of Service

From a successful college professor to an arrogant, drunk man and finally dedicating his life in service of society, Dr Purshottam Wayal’s life has been a series of paradoxes.  

“As I progressed in my career and grew prosperous, I grew more arrogant and fell into habitual vices and was soon a raging alcoholic ,’ says  Dr. Purshottam Wayal, who spent 11 years of his life in an inebriated state of mind.

After many years of abusing his physical, emotional and mental health, he realized he had to free himself from this negative lifestyle.  This transformation came about when he did the Youth Leadership Training Program (YLTP) by the Art of Living.

Recalling his turnaround, Dr Wayal says, “The techniques imparted to me in the workshop gave me a lot of confidence and solace. I was marveled to see my own energy level double up within a span of 12 days.’’

Within two months, Dr Wayal was completely free of all vices. “I was a changed man. My focus was now to gather misguided youths who were addicts or alcoholics and help them, “he recounts.

He started conducting the YLTP programs in villages in Maharashtra, where over 40,000 people quit alcohol and other addictions and are working towards building a better community.


Dr Purushottam Wayal has been honored by the Maharashtra award,  ‘SamajikGauravPuraskarand  Marathwada award , ‘AdarshShikshakPurskar’, for his dedicated service towards society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment